Udemy Is Launching an Android App
Udemy, the world’s largest marketplace for online educational courses, today announced the launch of its Android mobile app. The app expands the Company’s mobile offering and allows students to build new skills and learn on. “We believe accelerating smartphone adoption creates infinite learning opportunities around the world. Our Android app offers millions more people the freedom to build skills and learn on their own terms, even without access to a computer,” says Dennis Yang, president of COO of Udemy. “Our suite of mobile apps puts us closer than ever to realizing our vision that anyone, anywhere can learn anything.”
The new Udemy app runs on Android, the Google operating system used by roughly 1 billion smartphones users, and allows students to engage with course materials, watch videos on demand and download rich content for offline consumption. The Android app complements Udemy’s existing iPhone and iPad apps, which have already been downloaded nearly 1 million times. Mobile course consumption now accounts for approximately 20% of all courses taken on Udemy’s expansive 1o,ooo-course library gives students access to skill-based educational content. Courses available through the new Udemy app include everything from office productivity and programming/web design to digital marketing, and arts and photography.
App Enables Students to Learn Skills Anytime, Anywhere.
First and foremost, the Android app has been one of the most requested features by the user base. Udemy users are currently consuming 20% of our course content on a mobile device and through the Android app, Udemy gives students yet another platform to engage with the course content. On the corporate side, our Udemy for Organizations’ clients have stipulated this feature as an important criteria for their learning and development needs.
- Perhaps the most notable is the ability for students to download the course content onto their mobile devices for viewing at a later stage and at their own pace.
- In addition, Udemy will send students app notifications to assist them with course completion and new course discovery.
What are the most common uses of Udemy’s mobile apps?
When users were surveyed before the iOS launch, they found that students want to engage with course material on the go, either on the subway, bus or during their lunch break and at work. The offline viewing function allows students to download the Udemy course content to consume content at a later stage, even in areas without an internet connection. In addition, students are using the apps to help with their learning experience. They use tablets as a second screen to consume content while practicing what they learn in real-time on their laptops or PCs.
What’s next for Udemy’s mobile expansion?
- They are working on an international version of the Android app
- They will be adding filters so that students can search content by category, pricing, and popularity.
- They are working on making the mobile experience more personalized by recommending courses to students based on student course consumption behavior.
- They will be adding Q&A, quiz, and note taking functionalities to our Android app.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.