10 Big Blended Learning Questions
The CityBridge-NewSchools Education Innovation Fellowship is a great developmental opportunity for teachers in Washington DC. On Monday we’re holding a conversation about blended learning. Following is a list of some of the questions we’ll discuss and some resources for developing answers.
1. Why now? Why should principals consider redesigning around a blended model? Why not wait? How to start conversations? How to build support?
- Alliance for Excellent Education: Why Digital Learning?
- Improving Conditions & Careers: How Blended Learning Can Improve The Teaching Profession
- 10 Drivers of Blended Learning
- What’s Your Main Purpose For Blended Learning?
Where to start? To phase or plunge? What is the first step in translating knowledge of blended learning into action in a school? What are promising strategies around change management and cultivating buy-in at the school level?
- DLN Blended Learning Implementation Guide (recommends phasing)
- Alliance for Excellent Education Project 24
- 10 Steps to Build Support for Blended Learning
- Rocky Mount NC: Where Rocketship Meets Carpe Diem (K-12 flip to blended)
2. What model? Is a classroom rotation model or lab rotation better for an elementary school?
- DLN Blended Learning Implementation Guide
- An Inside View of Blended Integration at Rocketship Education (lab rotation)
- Christensen Institute database of models
Should a high school consider a flex model over a rotation model?
- NGLC Profiles: 20 next-gen high schools
- Carpe Diem: the best of school leadership and management
- 10 Reasons Every District Should Open a Flex School
- Nexus Lansing: A New High School Experience
- iPrep: The Miami Flex
3. How to manage mastery? How will competency-based environments work?
- The Shift From Cohorts to Competency
- CompetencyWorks Briefing Papers
- Detroit: Pulling Out of the Death Spiral (A nice mixture of dynamic cohorts in a competency-based environment)
- Pondering Urban High School Improvement (High Tech High makes use of diverse cohorts and requires frequent demonstrations of learning)
5. What device?
- Houston High School Students Get Laptops Next Year
- 25 Tablet Ideas to Enhance Learning Experiences
- Charlottesville Chooses Windows Tablets
- Why Three Districts Chose Chromebooks Over Tablets
- Turkish Kids Are Getting Tablets, What’s Your State Doing?
6. How to pay for it?
- DLN Funding Sustainable High-Access Environments (includes BYOD tips)
- DLN Funding Students, Options, and Achievement (state policy)
- Investing in Productivity: How to Pay For Blended Learning
7. How will teaching change? What about teacher training?
8. What about relationships? How much time online? How do you build a powerful culture?
- Blended Learning That Is Truly Blended
- It’s Not About the Machine, It’s About Heart
- It’s All About Culture at Acton Academy
- Carpe Diem: The Best of School Leadership and Management
9. What policies will help?
- 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning
- Data Backpacks: Portable Records & Learner Profiles
- It’s Time for The Next Big Advance: Comparable Growth Measures
10. What’s new? What’s next? What should we pay attention to? What tech/pedagogical innovation will be big advances. What are the “innovation gaps” we still need to close? What do we need most for this blended learning work to really take off?
- i-Ready is Ready for Prime Time (adaptive learning is a big deal)
- What’s All The Buzz About Detroit? (competency-based models/platforms)
- 10 Elements of Competency-Based Learning
- How Digital Learning Contributes to Deeper Learning
- What Sort of Research Should We Be Doing on Blended Learning
Every metro area needs a capacity development program like the Fellowship.
Disclosures: Curriculum Associates and Digital Learning Now! are Getting Smart Advocacy Partners.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.