Carpool Karaoke with James Corden and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld are undoubtedly catchy. Two leaders from Santa Ana Unified School District in Orange County, California–Daniel Allen (@schoolmadefresh) and Wes Kriesel (@weskriesel)–adapted this popular idea and are using it with principals in their Principals of Change video interview series.
Santa Ana Unified School District is the 7th largest district in California with approximately 60% of the students being English learners. Around 96% of the students are Hispanic and 91% of the student population is eligible for free and reduced-price meals.
Allen, Executive Director of School Renewal, and Kriesel, current Coordinator of 21st Century Learning for the district, are in support of innovation in education and wanted to highlight the forward-thinking work of some of their principals. As you will see in their adaptation, they are quite the duo.
Principals of Change Episode #1: Todd Irving
- High access strategy: school-based decisions about devices and deployment;
- Portfolio strategy: a shift from district-led managed instruction to school-led personalized learning; and
- New school development strategy: promoting school options and incubating next gen models.
Principals of Change Episode #2: Amy Scruton
- Getting Smart Podcast | Santa Ana Unified School District
- Getting Smart Podcast | Principals Supporting Teachers as Curriculum Designers
Stay in-the-know with all things EdTech and innovations in learning by signing up to receive the weekly Smart Update.