Austin, EdTech, and Queso lovers- it’s that time of year, SXSWedu Panel Picker is now open! You have from now until September 5 to get your votes in for what you’d like to see at #SXSWedu. We’d love a thumbs up on the sessions below. Public voting counts for 30% of thedecision on what gets accepted for the main event, so we need your help!!
1. Show Me the Money: You know Shark Tank? Take a dip in the Dolphin Tank, a kinder, gentler place to get tips for your start-up. Back by popular demand, join Alex Hernandez and Tom Vander Ark for a fully interactive session on funding start-ups and growth organizations. Interested donors and funders will get an outline of investment options both philanthropic grants and return-seeking. Schools and organizations seeking to raise money will get tips of speaking to donors and investors. Come ready with pitches!
Tom Vander Ark Getting Smart/Learn Capital
Alex Hernandez Charter School Growth Fund
2. Smart Cities That Work For Everyone: As the majority of the world’s population becomes urban, cities must become centers of learning for young and old. Every person, organization, and region needs to get smart—to skill up, learn more, and build new capacities faster and cheaper than ever. In the long run, education is the economic development agenda. Innovative new tools and schools are making it possible for individuals, organizations, and cities to boost learning outcomes. This session will discuss how to become a Smart City.
Tom Vander Ark Getting Smart
Adrian Fenty Perkins Coie
3. Let it Go: Don’t Be Frozen By PR: Stuck in a frozen tundra of PR unknowns? This panel of Communications and Public Relations experts will give you tips and tricks of how to effectively and strategically implement a strong public relations plan that won’t leave you out in the cold. Learn how to engage in the 24/7 news cycle using new media, including social media, video, and web. PR is so hot right now, learn how to make your mark.
Jennifer Aalgaard Getting Smart
Jeannie Sharkey Literacy Design Collaborative
Krista Clark New Tech Network
Kate James Pearson
4. #ChoppedEdu 2.0 We’re Bringing Blended Back: Do you have what it takes to become the “Chopped Edu” Blended Champion? Back by popular demand, you’ll recognize this gameshow approach to education from Food Network’s “Chopped” competition. Experts will give a brief introduction to the 5 key decisions of blended learning along with best practices from around the country. Participants will work in teams to design a school model using the components of blended & personalized learning then present their model to the group. Let the best team win!
Jessica Slusser Getting Smart
Bonnie Lathram Getting Smart
5. Education Revolution: Evidence-based Learning: Join an informative panel discussion, including a higher education institution and industry influencers and experts, to learn about the bold steps being taken in the education sector to help people of all ages make measurable progress in their lives through learning. Specifically, learn about a unique efficacy initiative and proven framework designed to help an institution achieve the learner outcomes it intends, in order to ensure students learn what they need to make measurable progress.
Carri Schneider, Ed.D. Getting Smart
Amar Kumar Pearson
Karla Berry Southern Illinois University
Michael Feldstein Mindwires Consulting
Other Sessions on our Radar
6. Paying for Personalized Learning
7. Privacy 201: From Compliance to Trust
8. STEM for Girls: Building Increased Engagement
9. 21st Century Manipulatives: Increasing Engagement
10. Is the LMS Dead?
11. The Best of Gamification in K12 Education
12. Open Edtech: Can K-12 Learn from Higher Ed?
13. MOOCs & Edutainment: Pop Culture’s Role in Online
14. License 2 Skill: Building Digital Credential Value
15. Mind the Gap: Faculty and Student Tech Experiences
16. Women Disruptors 2.0
17. Tech x Teacher Prep x Disruption = Student Success
18. Testing to Teach: Assessment That Makes Us Smarter
19. Ed-tech for Educational Inclusion
20. How to Personalize Learning Using the Right Data
21. Big Data Lessons in Personalization & Privacy
Can’t wait to see y’all in Austin!
Digital Learning Now, MIND Research Institute, Curriculum Associates, DreamBox Learning, Canvas by Instructure, and EDUCAUSE are Getting Smart Advocacy Partners.