California Student Bill of Rights: Access for All Students
Every student should have access to a well-taught college prep curriculum. With online learning, access to a rigorous curriculum can be provided cost effectively with high quality anywhere—except where state laws block opportunity.
Some California districts offer some online courses. California has a handful of virtual schools but they are limited by county boundaries. But as many as half of California secondary students lack access to a college prep curriculum (the college required sequence of courses is called A-G in California). But a group of school districts have banded together to change things.
Led by David Haglund, the districts drafted The California Student Bill of Rights. They are a busy gathering signatures to get the initiative on the November ballot. The Initiative removes these barriers.
- Provides students access to courses required for admission to the state’s universities
- Allows students to take online courses offered by any school district regardless of student residence
- Authorizes school districts to contract with public and private providers to deliver online courses taught by credentialed teachers
- Authorizes school districts, county ofMices of education and charter schools to claim average daily attendance funding for student participation in approved online courses
- Potentially saves local school districts hundreds of millions of dollars annually if schools experience efficiencies and widespread participation in the use of online courses (Source: California Legislative Analyst)
Dr. David Haglund has invested 23 years in the public school setting, teaching in middle school, high school and alternative education settings. In 2007, Dr. Haglund founded one of California’s premier public virtual school programs, which delivers high-quality online learning opportunities to students throughout Southern California.
Given the intent and district leadership, the California Student Bill of Rights is the most exciting policy initiative in the country.
Read Dr. Haglunds blog for more. See the 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning from Digital Learning Now for a state policy blueprint for the digital learning future.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.