Authored by Getting Smart, with contributions from Bonnie Lathram, Carri Schneider and Tom Vander Ark
Download the publication
Almost five million students in the public education system are English Language Learners. Reaching all of America’s students includes meeting the needs of diverse learners that possess a wide variance in skills, backgrounds, cultures and family supports.
To highlight existing technological tools and illuminate gaps in the field, Supporting English Language Learners with Next-Gen Tools illuminates key learnings from over 25 experienced English Language Learner (ELL) educators, experts, education technology leaders and thought leaders across the United States.
It also provides a landscape overview of English language tools and supports gathered from 39 companies and organizations that support ELLs including content providers, ELL-specific solutions and communication tools.
This publication also describes 10 Elements of Next-Gen English Language Learning which includes:
- Policy and educational leadership support of bilingual and multilingual learning;
- Strong cultural advocacy and asset-based instruction;
- EdTech investments and digital tools that support language learning; and
- Inclusion of student interests and goals into instruction through personalized learning.
For more on Supporting English Language Learners, see:
- 20 Math and ELA Tools that Support English Language Learners
- Next-Gen Personalized Learning for ELL Students
- Supporting ELL Students with Automated Writing Feedback