Aspen Institute Task Force Starts the Conversation
The Aspen Institute announced the launch of the Aspen Institute Task Force on Learning and the Internet, a MacArthur-supported forum to contribute towards the effort of improving online learning experiences for our students and optimize them for safety and innovation.
Thought leaders with diverse perspectives in learning, innovation, and safety make up the task force, including former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, co-chair of the Digital Learning Council, and Rosario Dawson, actress and co-founder of Voto Latino, as honorary co-chairs.
“The Internet is arguably the most potent force for learning and innovation since the printing press. The web is reshaping work, the economy, culture and everyday life, just as book and the printed word did 500 years ago.” -Aspen Institute Task Force on Learning and the Internet
The Task Force will work to engage with the public online in order to invite maximum input and then launch an online library of resources to highlight important research and other assets. Members will discuss, analyze and review public input to develop recommendations in early 2014 in order to advance healthy online experiences for young people. The task force mission is to enable students to make smart decisions and responsible choices while on the Internet.
- Jeb Bush, Former Governor of Florida, Task Force Honorary Co-Chair
- Rosario Dawson, Actress and Co-Founder, Voto Latino, Honorary Co-Chair
- John Bailey, Executive Director, Digital Learning Now!, Task Force Co-Chair
- Maria Teresa Kumar, President and CEO, Voto Latino, Task Force Co-Chair
- Meredith Baker, Senior Vice President of Governmental Affairs, Comcast-NBC Universal; former FCC Commissioner; former head of NTIA
- John Seely Brown, Independent Co-Chairman, Deloitte Center for the Edge
- Cathy Casserly, CEO, Creative Commons
- Anne Collier, Founder and Executive Director, Net Family News, Inc. and Co-Director, ConnectSafely.org
- Wanda Cook-Robinson, Superintendent, Southfield Public Schools, Michigan
- Anil Dash, Co-Founder, Activate and ThinkUP
- Julius Genachowski, Aspen Institute Senior Fellow, Former FCC Chairman
- Marne Levine, Vice President, Global Public Policy, Facebook
- Brendon Lynch, Chief Privacy Officer, Microsoft
- Alice Marwick, Assistant Professor, Communications and Media Studies, Fordham University
- Bruce Mehlman, Partner, Mehlman Vogel Castagnetti, Inc.
- Susan Molinari, Vice President of Public Policy Americas, Google; former Member, U.S. House of Representatives
- Delia Pompa, Senior Vice President of Programs, National Council of LaRaza
- Mark Surman, Executive Director, Mozilla
- Deborah Taylor Tate, ITU Special Envoy and Laureate for Child Online Protection (United Nations); former FCC Commissioner
- Felton Thomas, Executive Director and CEO, Cleveland Public Library
With public participation, the Task Force will make some meaningful progress toward building a safe and engaging online learning environment for our kids. Follow on twitter at @AspenTaskForce or on Facebook and help contribute the this important conversation.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.