Every January we celebrate National School Choice Week (#SCW), but this year is bound to be one of the biggest celebrations yet! With over 32,000 events already scheduled, thousands of educators, community members, government representatives and many more will spend the week shining a spotlight on the need for effective education options for ALL students. From open houses, fireside chats and informal meetings, there’s bound to be a free event near you! There’s even an official School Choice Week dance that you can learn set to Meghan Trainor’s song, “Better When I’m Dancin.”
National School Choice Week isn’t just about organizations and groups. It’s about you! And any school-choice-themed activity can be an event. You can…
- Talk about school choice at your workplace during a “brown bag lunch” roundtable.
- Host a school choice potluck dinner, pizza party, coffee meet-up, or happy hour and invite your friends and family; wear your National School Choice Week scarves to stand out!
- Screen an education reform-related movie.
- Host a press conference, a special meeting, or a conference call with school choice supporters in your area.
- Attend a school open house.
- Host a parent appreciation breakfast.
The opportunities are endless.
Looking to get involved or want to host an event of your own? Visit School Choice Week’s event page to post your event, there is no cost to plan or host!
As part of this mission, we know it’s important to find ways to empower parents when selecting the best educational environments for their children – from great traditional public schools to magnet schools, public charter schools, private schools, online learning and homeschooling. If you’re already empowering your student’s learning, we’d love to share your story!
What are you doing to get involved this week?