New York, New York, November 22, 2010 – News Corporation today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire 90 percent of Wireless Generation, a privately-held Brooklyn-based education technology company for approximately $360 million in cash. Upon completion of the transaction, Wireless Generation will become a subsidiary of News Corporation and will be managed by founder and CEO Larry Berger, President and COO Josh Reibel, and Executive Vice President and Chief Product Officer Laurence Holt, who will collectively retain a 10 percent interest.
Established in 2000, Wireless Generation provides mobile and web software, data systems and professional services that enable teachers to use data to assess student progress and deliver individualized instruction. Serving more than 200,000 teachers and three million students across all 50 states, the Company is dedicated to creating innovative tools to help educators teach smarter. It currently has 400 employees.
“When it comes to K through 12 education, we see a $500 billion sector in the U.S. alone that is waiting desperately to be transformed by big breakthroughs that extend the reach of great teaching,” said News Corporation Chairman and CEO, Rupert Murdoch. “Wireless Generation is at the forefront of individualized, technology-based learning that is poised to revolutionize public education for a new generation of students.”
A recognized leader in the movement to personalize the educational experience through the use of data and technology, Wireless Generation also builds large-scale data systems that centralize student data, give educators and parents unprecedented visibility into learning and foster professional communities of educators with social networking tools. The Company is a key partner to New York City’s Department of Education on its Achievement Reporting and Innovation System (ARIS) as well as on the City’s School of One initiative, named by TIME Magazine as one of the Best Inventions of 2009.
“We’re delighted to be joining a company that has a long history of growing entrepreneurial, innovative businesses,” said Larry Berger, CEO of Wireless Generation. “Rupert believes in the power of digital platforms to reach more people with better information, more swiftly than ever and he understands the transformative effect technology can bring to the process of learning.”
- “Rupert Murdoch Buys TheDaily.com and The-Daily.com Domain Names” and related posts (domainnamewire.com)
- Digital newspaper for iPod by Rupert Murdoch (nowpublic.com)
- News Corporation’s Rupert Murdoch Planning iPad Newspaper (geeksaresexy.net)
- iPad ‘newspaper’ created by Steve Jobs and Rupert Murdoch (Edward Helmore/Guardian) (techmeme.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Invests In Oil Company With Ties To Dick Cheney; Conspiracy Theorists Lick Their Lips (mediaite.com)
- Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp to Buy Wireless Generation (edreformer.com)
- News Corp to buy US education provider (news.theage.com.au)
- Murdoch buys into education (go.theregister.com)
- News Corp to buy education tech company for $360 million (reuters.com)
- News Corp Shells Out $360 Million For Ed Tech Company Wireless Generation (paidcontent.org)
- UPDATE 1-News Corp to buy education tech co for $360 mln (reuters.com)