Hope you’re tracking the interesting EdSector threads on online learning and innovation. Interesting prompt from Michael Horn (Disrupting Class) about what platforms will emerge to drive personalization. My response:
1. Multiple provider transcript: Students can increasingly assemble a high school transcript from a variety of sources including home high school, one or more virtual providers, and dual enrollment from a college.
2. Credit recovery: most schools/districts will adopt an accelerated credit recovery strategy that involves an outside provider–an ESP like AdvancePath (a Revolution portfolio company) or vendor like Compass, Plato, NovaNet or SuccessMaker
3. Informal learning platforms: students are making increasing use of peer-to-peer learning, iTunes U, and resources like Innosight incubated Guarenteach
4. Social learning platforms: schools will eventually run on social learning platforms that will connect many of these resources (Revolution has one in incubation)
4. Blending: informal learning, social learning, virtual learning will increasingly be blended into school formats. NYCiSchool.org and Rocketship are early examples. We’ll see a half a dozen very interesting school formats introduced next year.