TEDxManhattanBeach hosts “Journey to Purpose: Dream. Educate. Thrive.” October 13, 2012 at the auditorium of the Manhattan Beach Middle School in Manhattan Beach, Calif.
The event seeks to answer the following questions through presentations from experts across several fields of study: How do we increase the odds of finding purpose in life? Is it ever too late to find purpose? What role can the education system play in helping students find purpose?
The line up of 20 speakers includes the following:
- Frank Baxter, former director of the NASD
- Eduardo Briceno, CEO of Mindset Works
- Clayton Cameron, dynamic drummer and artist
- Jason Chua, Cofounder of SparkTruck
- Shere Coleman, fine artist
- Court Crandall, father and leader
- Emma Doyle, sixth grade artist
- John Hall, author of Am I Still Autistic: How Low Functioning, Slightly Retarded Toddler Became the CEO of Multi-Million Dollar Corporation
- Michael Horn, author of Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
- Eugene Korsunskly, a student with SparkTruck
- Jack McManus, Cofounder and Director of Ed. D. program in Educational Technology
- Barbara Patterson, traveler and world speaker
- John Ratey, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School
- Lainie Rowell, educator
- David Seidel, educator and planetarium director at NASA
- Karl Schaffer, Co-Artistic Director of Dr. Schaffer and Mr. Stern Dance Ensemble
- Erik Stern, Co-Artistic Director of Dr. Schaffer and Mr. Stern Dance Ensemble; and
- Toni Yancey, professor in the Health Service Department at the University of California.
Presenting partners include Manhattan Beach Unified School District, Manhattan Beach Education Foundation, City of Manhattan Beach, and Ignited.
Tickets are on sale now through October 11, 2012. For more information, visit tedxmanhattanbeach.com.